Wednesday, March 19, 2008

tutorial: embroidered flower brooches - part one

As promised, here's part one of the tutorial to create an embroidered flower brooch. I asked you last time to have these supplies - ready to go?

The first step is to draw a flower shape onto a piece of plain paper. I went with an uneven flower - nothing fancy:
Trace the flower onto your netting and fold it over so you have two layers of netting. Don't cut the flower out yet! Using a zig-zag stitch, stitch all the way around the flower, just slightly to the inside of the pen line.

Okay, now you can cut the flower out!

Now we need to stabilize the edges:
Sew a length of yarn or cord around the edge of the flower, using a zig-zag stitch. I'm using a mohair yarn with little picots on the edges:
I sewed into the centre of the flower, just to give it a little definition. Here's how it looks out from underneath the sewing machine:
I then stitched another cord across each petal, to mimic the central "ribs" that some flowers have. This also stabilizes the brooch as well. Again, just use a zig-zag stitch to stitch the cord down. I'm using a soft, twisted satin cord:
I wanted to add a little bit more glitz to the brooch, so I went over the edges with a metallic machine embroidery thread, again - just zig-zag. I used a silver thread over the central ribs of the flower.

You've got the first layer of the brooch done!
Now repeat the same steps over again, just with a slightly smaller flower - that's the inside of the brooch. I'll show you how to connect everything - but that's for tomorrow :-)

No comments: